Kinneil, Mumrills and Threipmuir
Though regular digging at Cammo was suspended over the summer, EAFS members were not idle. Several of the usual Cammo team joined excavations at Kinneil and Mumrills, both led by Geoff Bailey, who will be producing a full report on all the findings in due course. Both sites are of on-going interest and investigations will continue next year.
Several of our enthusiastic diggers also returned to Threipmuir to continue the excavation of the site of a horse-driven gin. The first half of the SW quadrant down to cobble level and turf from the stone perimeter wall to the SW was cleared. The cobbled surface of the NW quadrant was also tidied up.
A good quantity of finds included bed or mattress springs, metal, ceramics, glass and a tobacco pipe stem stamped “MACKENZIE” on one side and “PLOUGHMANS CUTTY” on the other side. There is a Mackenzie who produced pipes in Edinburgh from 1863 – 94.